Who does not love cinnamon rolls?! Nobody in their right mind! Even though I’m diabetic myself, every now and then nothing will do except warm, sweet, gooey bread.
So today I have a special recipe for you that is for emergencies only…the best homemade cinnamon rolls ever.
These are wonderfully chewy rolls with a cream cheese and butter icing that is really very simple and such a fun thing to do. When you spread the icing, it just kind of melts all over the cinnamon rolls and it makes them incredibly delicious. These are knife and fork cinnamon rolls! Although my sons have been known to just dig in with their hands.
These are one of my favorite things to make and all you need is a few basic ingredients and either a stand mixer or you can prepare by hand.
However, you have to be pretty committed because it’s about eight minutes of kneading and mixing. This is where I love my KitchenAid! If you have the devotion or a mixer you have to try these cinnamon rolls.
They will leave your house smelling so good.
Cinnamon rolls make everything such a special occasion. These are great for brunch because they are so tasty and look so wonderful! They’re also great to give as a gift because you can put any extra unbaked rolls in the freezer and then pull them out to bake at any point.
Ingredients For the Dough:
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup softened butter
For the Icing:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkle yeast over warm milk in a mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter, sugar, eggs. Mix briefly.
- Add flour and salt to a bowl. Mix with a bread hook for 6-8 minutes (or knead by hand 6-8 minutes). The dough will be smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a bowl sprayed with nonstick spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until about doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 9 X 14 inches.
- In a small bowl stir together brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread softened butter over the dough, then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top. If you like, this is the point where you can sprinkle raisins, chopped pecans, chocolate chips, orange zest, or anything else you want inside the rolls.
- Roll up the dough tightly along the long side (see video).
- Slice the roll into 8-9 pieces. Place in a round or square cake pan with sides touching. Let the rolls rise another 15-20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until the tops are just starting to brown.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the icing. With a whisk, stir together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. A few lumps are okay. Spread the icing over the warm rolls. Pull apart and share the rolls. Prepare to be adored.
The number of cinnamon rolls you make depends on how thinly you slice each section of dough. They yield anywhere from 6 – 10 individual rolls.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe for the best, stickiest, cinnamoniest rolls you can imagine. You will be hailed as a domestic goddess if you master these.
For more great recipes and wonderful content for your healthy pregnancy, not including this recipe 😉 sign up below to receive your free self-care guide with recipes and a self-care menu to help get you through this stressful time.