In the spirit of Valentine’s week, I am posting the best all-purpose fudge sauce ever invented. It’s rich, smooth and keeps well in the fridge. A word of caution: this is rich and sweet, so enjoy it sparingly, whether you are diabetic or not!
This sauce is perfect over ice cream, of course, but also makes a delicious dip for fruit. Spoon it over pancakes, popcorn, or your partner!!
Everything really is better with chocolate, don’t you think?
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- stir together sugar and cocoa in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until combined
- add cream, stir until any lumps are gone
- heat slowly to simmering, then add butter
- stir and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is smooth and starting to thicken
- stir in vanilla extract and salt
- cool for a few minutes before serving, refrigerate any unused sauce in a mason jar or sealed container
- to reheat, spoon some into a small bowl and microwave, stirring every 10-20 seconds