As I may have mentioned before, I love eggs. Just to recap, eggs are healthy, diabetic-friendly, full of protein and healthy fats, and just plain delicious. Here’s another idea for a healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner – a frittata. A frittata is simply an omelette that is finished in the oven. There are dozens, probably hundreds, of ways to make a frittata. I’m going to show you one, then give you ideas for creating a favorite version for yourself.
- 10 large eggs
- 6 green onions, chopped, green and light green parts
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crack 10 eggs into a mixing bowl. Add onions, feta, and spinach. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Heat a 10 inch oven-safe skillet. Add a tablespoon of olive oil or ghee.
- Add egg mixture to skillet. Scrape the bottom of the pan slowly with a heat-proof spatula so that large curds form. When the eggs are almost set, place the entire skillet in oven. Heat for 2-3 minutes, until eggs are set.
- Remove skillet from oven. Let rest for 2-3 minutes, then turn skillet over onto a plate. Top with a little more cheese or onions if you like. Slice it like a pizza and serve with a green salad. Ta-da!
Now, a few more frittata ideas:
- Instead of green onions, spinach, and feta, try browning thinly sliced white or yellow onions in a skillet with a little olive oil or ghee. Add the eggs and stir until almost set. Place sliced apples and brie on top then place skillet in oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melty. I had this creative dish at a little restaurant in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- Brown some ground sausage (pork, chicken/apple, or turkey sausage). Add the eggs and some grated cheddar. When eggs are almost set, finish in oven for 2-3 minutes. Top with more cheese, salsa, and cilantro.
- For a Tex-Mex version, add sliced jalapenos and onions to eggs. When they are almost set on the stove, finish in oven for a few minutes. Top with your favorite chili and some grated cheddar.