If you like foods that are a little sweet, a little savory, then I have the perfect recipe for you – bacon jam. It’s an undisputed fact that everything is better with bacon.
Jim Gaffigan says that bacon is like the fairy dust of the food community – bibbity bobbity BACON! Spoon this jam over a warm wedge of brie, put it on your hamburger, or just scoop it up with carrot sticks or crackers.
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Fry bacon in a large pan until crisp. Remove bacon to a plate. Leave 2-3 tablespoons of the drippings in the pan.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Crumble the bacon and add it back to the pan, along with all other ingredients.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, till it’s thick and jammy.
- Let it cool, then enjoy! Place any unused jam in a sealed jar in the fridge. It will keep for up to a couple of weeks, but if you haven’t eaten it in a week, I’m disappointed in you.